Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Delish Pineapple Upside Down Cake

 

I made this cake for my roommates birthday and it was a complete hit!! I got the recipe from my "All Recipes" app but I tweaked and changed some parts of it. For example this recipe was for a double layer cake where the top layer had the sliced pineapples and the bottom had chunks of pineapples. I think the sliced pineapples are much prettier and since I wanted two separate cakes anyways it worked out! The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of flaked coconut but my roommate loves coconut I doubled it and it turned out really good. My favorite thing about this cake is it looks fancy but it is SO easy to make!

Ingredients:

1 (10 oz) jar maraschino cherries, drained
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
2 (8 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained with juice reserved
1(18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat the bottoms and sides of each 9 inch round cake pan with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle the bottom of each pan with 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
  2. In both pans, sprinkle coconut over the brown sugar. Lay pineapple rings in a single layer on top of coconut. Place a cherry in the center of each ring.
  3. Mix the cake as directed on package, but substitute reserved pineapple juice in place of water. Mix the flaked coconut in the cake mix. Pour the cake batter over the brown sugar pineapple cherry layer, dividing the batter between the 2 pans.
  4. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool in pans for about 20 minutes.
  5. While the bottoms of the cake pans are still warm to the touch gently invert the cakes onto your serving tray (in my case two dinner plates).
  6. Enjoy this delicious tropical cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment